Famous German Chefs | Tim Maelzer Hamburg
Tim Mälzer is one of the most famous German chefs and also one of the first, who made it into the spotlight with his easy-going way on his own cooking show between 2003 and 2007. During that time, some liked to call him the “German Jamie Oliver” – a real compliment, because the British chef is not only well known for his cool recipes, but also for his smart appearance in front of cameras. Ten quick Tim Wälzer facts:
- The German chef Tim Mälzer was born on January 22, 1971. His father was a merchant.
- Finished his three years culinary training in the InterContinental hotel in Hamburg.
- Mälzer worked in London, Hongkong and Germany.
- In fact, Tim Mälzer and Jamie met, when both weren’t famous: they were working in the Neal Steet Restaurant in London at the same time. Jamie Oliver once said in an interview with the German newspaper BILD, that he remembered Tim very well because of his changing hair colours including blue an white.
- His interviewer/ assistant at Mälzers first cooking show Schmeckt nicht, gibts nicht ( = Not tasty doesn’t exist), a show which reminded a lot of people of Jamie Oliver’s The Naked Chef, was also his girlfriend. Nina Heik and Mälzer were a couple for around ten years until they seperated in 2013. Both already met in the 1980s in Hamburg.
- Is running a restaurant called Bullerei (Bulle = bull) in Hamburg and two restaurants in Frankfurt and Düsseldorf called Hausmanns ( Hausmannkost = home cooking). Tim Maelzer also sells his own kitchen knives inlucing a popular one called KAI Küchenmesser SHUN PREMIER Santoku.
- Was the voice of the souchef in the German synchronisation of the movie Ratatouille.
- Tim Mälzer is not only famous for his cooking shows and recipes, but also his controversial statements about certain topics on tv.
- Has a son, born in 2016.
- In his current tv show Kitchen Impossible, two star cooks are batteling each other in preparing a certain meal in a different country without knowing the exact ingredients.