Nena is one of the most famous German singers ever. She became internationally famous in 1983 with her song 99 Luftballons ( = 99 balloons), which she re-recorded in 1984 for the English market with the title 99 Red Balloons. Until today, Nena has remained a popular singer and figure in German media such as being the judge for The Voice of Germany from 2011 until 2014. 10 quick Nena facts:
- Nena was born on March 24 1960 under the name Gabriele Susanne Kerber. Nena is her nickname, which she got at the age of three during a holiday trip in Spain. Local people liked to call her nina, the Spanish word for girl.
- She is a trained jeweller.
- She is the mother of five children. With her first husband, actor Benedict Friday, she had a son, born in 1988. Her handicapped son died 11 months. Around one year later in 1990, she gave birth to twins. With her current boyfriend, musician Philipp Palm, Nena has two more children. Since 2010, she is also a grandmother: both her twins became parents within only a gap of couple of weeks. In 2013, she became the third time a grandmother.
- In 1977, she met the musician Rainer Kitzmann in a club, where he offered her to join his band The Stripes. Thats considered as the start of her music career. After the left, Gabriele Susanne Kerber founded her own in West German called Nena. They released their first song in 1982.
- In the 1980s, Nena and German music legend Udo Lindenberg had a secretly, one year lasting relationship. It became public in 2012. According to newspapers, they met each other in an airplane on a flight from Berlin to London. During the time of their affaire, it was one of the best kept secrets in the show business.
- She started her solo career in 1989.
- Nena is a vegetarian since more than 30 years. In 2010, the animal rights organization PETA announced her as the Sexiest Vegetarian in 2010. Her father was a vegetarian as well and according to Nena, thats why she never ate a lot a meat as a child as well. Still then, she admitted in an interview in 2015 with the magazine Vegetarisch glücklich, that she is eating twice a year fish.
- In 2007, she co-initiated a school called Neue Schule Hamburg, a democratic school based on the concepts of Sudbury schools. Sudbury schools give children a lot of freedom. One of central components is the free time management of the pupils.
- She is drinking moon water on a daily basis. Moon water is filled spring water, which is said to have bioenergetic powers.
- Together with her family, she is living in a villa in Rahlstedt near Hamburg.
Some Famous Nena songs
- 99 Luftballons (1983)
- Irgendwie, Irgendwo, Irgendwann (1984)
- Feuer und Flamme (1985)
- Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime (with Kim Wilde) (2003)
- Liebe ist (2005)