Frank-Walter Steinmeier served as the German minister for foreign affairs between 2005 and 2009 as well as between 2013 until 2017 and was Vice Chancellor between 2007 and 2009.
On February, 12 2017, Frank-Walter Steinmeier was elected to be the 12th Federal President of Germany.
Who is the Bundespräsident (Federal President) of Germany? 10 quick facts…
- Frank-Walter Steinmeier was born on January 6, 1956 in Detmold, Germany. His father was a carpenter and his mother a factory worker.
- Studied law and political science at University Giessen (Gießen). During that time, he was a member of the editorial board of the left magazine Demokratie und Recht (Democracy and Right). Furthermore, Frank-Walter Steinmeier was a member of the Juso‘s (Junge Soziale = Young Socials) student group. After finishing his studies in 1986, he earned his doctorate in 1991 at the same university.
- Managed Gerhard Schröder’s (former Bundeskanzler = Federal Chancellor of Germany) office between 1993 and 1994.
- Was appointed for the position as the State Secretary and Commissioner for the Federal Intelligence
Services in 1998 by Gerhard Schröder.
- Became Minister of Foreign Affairs in 2005, when Chancellor Angela Merkel took him into her cabinet and finally became Vice Chancellor in 2007, after the withdrawal of Franz Müntefering.
- Since 2005 married with Elke Büdenbender, who he met during his studies. Both have a daugther. In 2010, it became public that Frank-Walter Steinmeier donated his wife one of his kidneys.
- Frank-Walter Steinmeier is a smoker, but considers it as a burden and weakness.
- Is a fan of the German soccer club FC Schalke 04.
- His mother Ursula Steinmeier mentioned in an interview with the German newspaper Neuen Westfälischen, that on Christmas, she is always cooking Kasseler with Sauerkraut (cured pork with pickled cabbage) for her son.
- Steinmeier is said to be very down-to-earth, crisis resilient and a very good speaker. One of his advantages: he has a lot of diplomatic experience.